What you will see
Archeological artifacts, Sea Life, Wreck
The history of this wreck is unknown. We know that she is quite old, built of wood, but what kind of ship, where did she come from and her destiny is still a mystery.
"Navio do Norte" is the name given by local fishermen to this wreck, located north of Angeiras village. It means "northern ship".
From this vessel rests her cargo, or part of it, composed by iron cannons, bullets, wheels and other iron debris. It's still possible to see some pieces of wood that belong to the main structure of the ship that stays well preserved under the sand.
This wreck rests in open sea, on a sandy bottom at 34m. Marine life on this site is amazing, with lots of small fish, lobsters, conger eels and amazing octopuses. There are lost lines and fishing nets on the wreck.
We believe that this wreck is part of the steam-boat Tiber, owned by British company P&O Line.
Tiber was an iron paddle steamer of 763 tons. This vessel was laid down on August 8th, 1846, and arrived at Southampton on October 26th, from builders, Caird & Co in Greenock. She was originally to have been named "Ceylon", and ran P&O's Peninsular, Italian and Black Sea routes. Tiber was 56.29m long, 8.15m broad and 5.26m deep. She had 280ihp engines, a speed of 9 knots and a bunker capacity of 225 tons. This steamer cost £28.600 and was insured for £20.000.
On 21st February 1847, early in the afternoon, Tiber sunk out of Vila Cha when she was homeward bound from Gibraltar. Her captain was Mr Bingham.
The cause of her sinking is still inconclusive.
In Portugal we found documents that say that this ship sunk due to a severe sea storm and despite the efforts of local fishermen to help on the rescue of both passengers and crew, around 30 people died in this tragedy.
In other researches, we found out that the ship was sailing in dense fog, hit a rock and sunk in deep water within minutes with no casualties to regret.
Be it so, both have some in common, her cargo and mail sunk with the ship and were lost. Among cargo was a load of gold coins to the royal treasure.
--Spot Description by Luis Mota